The Cowboard

Farm and Ranch Antique Tractor Discussion

It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello from New Australian Member
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:09 am 

Just thought I'd say hello to everyone here as I'm new to this forum. I am pretty much an International Harvester enthusiast, though we do have some old Sunshine gear at the farm, still in use. My tractors are:
1939 Farmall M
1941 Farmall H
1947 Farmall M
19something Farmall A - have not collected it yet.
1979 International 844S
and the oddball - 1988 Belarus 920
The Sunshine equipment is:
1939 Sundercut 10 Disc Stump Jump Plough
1939 6B Reaper & Binder
1939 Semi Rigid Tyne Seed Drill
Looks pretty friendly on this site and I hope people won't mind my Australian spelling of works like 'plough' and 'catalogue' and 'cheque' etc.
Thanks, Henry

Last edited by FBK2486X3A on Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Hello from New Australian Member
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:59 am 

Welcome aboard. Don't think any of us will be too unhappy with your spelling, so long as you don't make fun of ours. We sometimes take a shortcut or two.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:24 am 

Henry - WELCOME to the discussion board ! Pretty neat for us to have a member from Austrailia....I am pretty new to this forum also. Just for your amusement....My ford pickup, I have named HENRY...for Henry Ford !

Glad to have you join us ! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:29 am 

Very nice… I'll bask in the reflected glory of Henry Ford! My great grandfather bought a T Model new. My grandmother loved it, and was enraged when she came home from a trip to Queensland in 1965 to find my grandfather had sold it for £10!
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:57 pm 

So Henry....here goes an uneducated question....are any tractors manufactured in Australia ?
If so, what brand names ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:18 am 

Sadly no longer. We used to produce Chamberlain tractors. They were a very good machine and powerful. John Deere didn't like the competition, so bought Chamberlain out and closed it down overnight. Earlier there were other manufacturers:
McDonald, Melbourne, who later produced McDonald Imperial Rollers (I have driven them. Easy to drive, but one of the most boring jobs I have ever undertaken). Some Chamberlains looked very similar to the IH W9.
Caldwell Vale - huge tractors. In 1913 the factory produced a tractor with 80hp, four wheel drive, four wheel steering and four wheel brakes.
Hart-Parr also built tractors in Australia - The Hart Parr Australian Special
Howard - built rotary hoes and tractors
Jelbart - used a stepped piston and cylinder in a two-stroke engine. Basic design later used in Lanz Bulldog motors.
Ronaldson Tippett - built in Ballarat, which is about 65 miles from where I live.
Also, IHC built tractors in Australia at the Geelong factory. IH tractors assembled and/or built here included Farmall A, Farmall H, Farmall M, Farmall AM, Farmall Super AM, Farmall AMD, Farmall Super AMD, AW-6, AW-7, A554 etc. The A in AM and AMD and AW-7 stands for Australian. The diesels built here did not start on petrol; they were straight diesels. We had an AW-7 Diesel, which was a very powerful tractor. It, like some other IH tractors suffered from poor axle design. The old Farmall H and M design was altered to a splined shaft with a heavy washer on the end held in place by a grade 8 bolt. Unfortunately the splines in the cast wheel centre were not very good and eventually stripped out.
Hart-Parr, Jelbart and Ronaldson Tippett built very large and very powerful tractors, but there are hardly any left now.
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:23 pm 

Welcome!!

-Jordan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:27 am 

Thanks for the history lesson on Aussie tractors. What was the deal with Allis Chalmers. I'm certain they were imported, but were most imported from England or the US?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:02 am 

No trouble at all! I don't a great deal about Allis Chalmers tractors beyond that they were imported here in small numbers up to 1947 when production of them began in England. After that greater numbers were exported to Australia. The UK factory meant that the 'Imperial Preference' system under which we imported largely from Commonwealth Countries, was satisfied. A friend of mine collects Allis Chalmers and John Deere tractors, but uses his Farmall H for working! Not sure why that is. He says the Farmall is easier to operate. I have never driven an Allis Chalmers, so don't know if it is true, or just his personal taste. I love my Farmalls and the single Belarus tractor we have; comfortable with what I have always used I suppose… I have considered getting a Chamberlain from time to time, but never actually done it.
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:35 pm 

Welcome aboard :D !!!

Sold some car parts to a guy down there a few years back .

I still have the Model T Tudor my Grandfather bought used in 1959 and it's never leaving if I can help it .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:16 am 

I have a set of original points for a T model. They are still out at the farm in their paper wrapping so far as I know. I asked a place that sells T model parts here if they were interested, but they didn't seem to care much. I wasn't even asking money for them. The 1939 M was my grandfather's (the same who sold the T model), and I love it. I have driven that tractor more than all our other tractors put together. I nearly always drive it when we cut hay, though last year my sister-in-law raked hay with it. Not a bad effort as she had never even sat on a tractor seat before. She said it made her arms tired. It didn't occur to me that that could happen, because I've been driving it since I was twelve.
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:47 pm 

welcome to the board. whats your 39 m serial#

collector of pre-39 IH tractors, like steel wheels.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:37 am 

My Farmall M is FBK 2486 X3A. It is still in use on the farm as a working tractor. Picture attached.

Attachments:
FarmallatHomeShrunken.jpg
FarmallatHomeShrunken.jpg [ 247.95 KB | Viewed 5209 times ]