The Cowboard

Farm and Ranch Antique Tractor Discussion

It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Popcorn Seed
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:09 am 

Hey, I was thinking (yeah I know dangerous) ahead to next year and was thinking it might be fun to grow some popcorn. Seeing as I thought I heard some rumblings abt it earlier (some running joke?), was wondering if someone knew of a good place to get growable seed (I know where to get the edible kind, lol).
Thanks
Michael

Post subject: Re: Popcorn Seed
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:28 am 

We have raised it several times and just got the seed from our seed dealers. They generally have it and hand it out complimentary for small areas.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:54 am 

I grew some in the garden one year and it produced but it didn't pop very well, maybe 75%. Have you ever popped milo? It pops just like popcorn only a lot smaller. It's a little different taste but with butter it's still good.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:06 pm 

Google Earl May out of Shenandoah, Iowa. They been in the garden seed business since two days after the arc docked I think. Then look at the bright side. You could sell popcorn.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:10 pm 

My wifes Family lives in Breda Ia, home of Snappy Popcorn I know a bunch of guys that grow it for them, I will see what I can get.
http://www.snappypopcorn.com/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:35 pm 

Does anyone remember when microwave ovens first came out? I attended a demo by some electric company PR type in 1965. She talked a lot about the technology and then demo-ed how to pop popcorn. She took a small popcorn ear, shucked, but on the cob. She put it in a cellophane bag and turned the oven on. The corn slowly popped and filled the bag, but there was quite a bit left unpopped. Without the cob, she said it would not generate enough heat to pop the kernals. I don't remember the wattage of the oven; small I'm sure. I didn't think it was worth the effort and expense, so I didn't buy in. But later, I didn't think Goggle had much of a future either.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:41 pm 
Master Mechanic

The only kind that will make here is the Strawberry popcorn (small red and shaped like strawberries) I found if I in plastic bags while on the cob for a month, then shell it and put it in airtight glass jars in a cool place, it pops well. Seems to keep moisture in the kernel for more POP....James

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:54 pm 

Erstwhile wrote:
Does anyone remember when microwave ovens first came out? I attended a demo by some electric company PR type in 1965. She talked a lot about the technology and then demo-ed how to pop popcorn. She took a small popcorn ear, shucked, but on the cob. She put it in a cellophane bag and turned the oven on. The corn slowly popped and filled the bag, but there was quite a bit left unpopped. Without the cob, she said it would not generate enough heat to pop the kernals. I don't remember the wattage of the oven; small I'm sure. I didn't think it was worth the effort and expense, so I didn't buy in. But later, I didn't think Goggle had much of a future either.

The following is from the 1947 Des Moines newspaper...

Dr. Wynn Salisbury roasts wiener on electronic stove.

An electronic stove, which will cook a hamburger in 30 seconds or pop a sack of popcorn almost instantly, will be one of the centennial exhibits at The Des Moines Register and Tribune building at the Iowa state fair.
The electronics stove, which is actually a microwave signal generator, is modern science's answer to the housewife who wants to get out of the kitchen with the least possible delay.
Visitors at the exhibit will see actual demonstrations of high speed cookery. Steaks will be cooked thoroughly in one minute. Potatoes will be cooked in two minutes.
With this new device in use, about 10 minutes is the time required to accomplish work that usually takes two hours for completion. A few eastern hotels already have put the electronic cooker in use.
Dr. Wynn Salisbury, director of research at the Collins Radio Co. will be in charge of the demonstration.
The Register and Tribune building at the fair is on the north side of Grand Avenue, a short distance inside the fairgrounds, and just east of the Iowa state conservation commission building. The building will be open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily during the fair, Aug. 26 - Sept. 2.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:46 am 

Well, how about that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:12 am 

I buy seeds from this place.
http://www.seedsavers.org/Items.aspx?hierId=27

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:43 pm 

I'm guessing you go for the bloody butcher variety? All kidding aside, looks like a very cool site I might have to get some of those varieties.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:03 am 
Master Mechanic

I ordered a catalog.

I had read about them, but never looked for them.