The Cowboard

Farm and Ranch Antique Tractor Discussion

It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New project
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:48 pm 
Master Mechanic

I bought a narrow tread Farmall F30 this past summer and have begun rebuilding the engine for it. Once I opened it up a found an absolute MESS inside! It must have set with the oil pan full of water until the pan eventually rusted out as I found everything inside badly rusted and froze up solid. I cut the rods to be able to pull the crankshaft and I cut the cam out as well, crank and cam went straight to the scrap bin. I pressed pistons and sleeves out together as I wanted to try and save the high altitude pistons in it. Once out I discovered that 2 of the sleeves were cracked and I cut a slit up one side of the other sleeves with a grinder and cut off wheel and then drove a chisel in the cut to expand the sleeve enough to let the piston drop out. It worked out good as I was able to save all 4 pistons! I already had 3 pistons just like these that I saved out of another F30/W30 engine I took apart so I picked the best 4 out of the 7 and cleaned them up. They turned out pretty good considering how bad they looked at the beginning. The engine block has a freeze crack in it right behind the carb so I decided to try and fix it. I bought some of Muggy Weld's welding rod for cast iron and I am here to tell you that it works GREAT! Easy to use and makes for a very nice looking repair! I have not quite finished the welding as it needs to be done slowly, as in weld an inch and let it cool, weld another inch and let it cool, etc...etc. In the meantime I dug out good replacement parts from my stash, like crankshaft, cam & rods. I cleaned them all up and installed new main bearings on the crankshaft, fitted the rod bearings to the crank, installed pistons on rods and rings on pistons. Once I finish repairing the crack in the block I can begin assembling the engine. Another problem I have encountered is I don't have any more good used F30 sleeves so I am going try and bore out old rust damaged sleeves to accept a thin wall dry sleeve that will be pressed in and then finished bored and honed to size.

"Power concedes nothing without demand. Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."

Frederick Douglass

Post subject: Re: New project
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:31 pm 
Master Mechanic

Good job so far Im always amazed at your talents!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:43 pm 

Kirk, That don't look like brass on that block what did you us?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:31 am 
Master Mechanic

John, I used welding rod I bought from Muggy Weld.

https://www.muggyweld.com/product/77-electrode/

"Power concedes nothing without demand. Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."

Frederick Douglass

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:07 pm 

I have tried a rod on cast iron with not much luck, I think it was #55
I will have to try #77 if you had good luck with it, Did you preheat? and peen?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:48 pm 
Master Mechanic

No preheat is necessary, you just have weld 1" at a time and let cool before making the next 1" long weld. It takes a while but it worked very well for me. I use a pneumatic needle scaler to remove the weld slag and that peens the weld at the same time.

Frederick Douglass

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:53 pm 

Good to know Kirk, I will get some of those rods and try them I have a needle scaler that's a good idea. Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:19 pm 
Master Mechanic

I am working on making a fixture for my lathe to hold the sleeves so I can bore them.

Frederick Douglass