The Cowboard

Farm and Ranch Antique Tractor Discussion

It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Long time, no post.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:45 pm 

Hey guys! Been a while since I've checked in here. Whitey gets run a few times a year yet, along with his other stable mates. I still fiddle with Pre 39s here and there. I have a 25 10-20 I would like to get in the shop and running yet this winter. We are working on a Montgomery Wards Twin Row tractor currently. We literally dug it out if the shed it's been in for the last 40+ years.
Lately my hobby has turned to cornpickers a bit. 2016 and 2017 we planted some wide row corn for picking. Last year we had 5 IH tractor mounted pickers, along with a few other brands. This past fall we had 6 IH tractor mounted, 1 IH pulltype, and an Oliver pulltype. We plan to do it again next year, it's a lot of work but we seem to enjoy it. I even run dads 38 F20 with 2ME in some corn this year.

Dan Robinson

Post subject: Re: Long time, no post.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:53 am 

Dan, I hope you are taking pictures and videos of all that corn picking!
You might be the last guy around picking wide row with old pickers!
Do you put any on youtube?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:11 pm 

We dont put up any ear corn for feed, just put in wide row to "play" in. We have been shelling it right out of the field as we pick it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQFpuxl ... e=youtu.be

Heres a video from 2016 (our first year). A local brought up his drone and tooks some cool video.

This summer I hope to put up a couple wire cribs to help speed up the process. Getting the right population and correct variety for corn picking has been the hardest part.

Lots of pictures and video have been taken. Hope to post some of them sometime.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:35 am 

Dan Robinson wrote:
We dont put up any ear corn for feed, just put in wide row to "play" in. We have been shelling it right out of the field as we pick it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQFpuxl ... e=youtu.be

Heres a video from 2016 (our first year). A local brought up his drone and tooks some cool video.

This summer I hope to put up a couple wire cribs to help speed up the process. Getting the right population and correct variety for corn picking has been the hardest part.

Lots of pictures and video have been taken. Hope to post some of them sometime.
What kind of yield comparison between the wide row picked and narrow combined corn. We used a IH #24 snapper picker on a mid forty's H in the early fifty's into the 70's. In the early 80's I had a Joliete truck mounted warehouse sheller on a early 50's, 53 maybe International truck. It would really eat the corn. The sheller unit was newer that the truck but no idea on how old. They had been discontinued before I bought mine.