The Cowboard

Farm and Ranch Antique Tractor Discussion

It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Warm weather plans?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:14 am 
Master Mechanic

I thought id try and get everyone that lurks or checks in to type in something.
When we get some warm days here and there and when spring arrives-Ive decided its time to stop puttin off things of mine that either need my attention or projects Ive let sit way to long, so when weather breaks here and there gonna start going to woods and pull out logs for fire wood, I also have some tractors that need some attention, I plan on posting some pics on here for yous to look at, I havent done that for some time.
So now its your turn do you have any thing you want to get to when weather allows, dont have to be anything great but just post something, just curious.

Post subject: Re: Warm weather plans?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:43 pm 

What we need down here in the Tx panhandle is moisture, last measureable rainfall was back around the first of October. Leave your BIC in your pocket please!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:21 am 

Yea , When it warms up a tad me and my grandson got new .177 Hunting Pellet rifles from Santa, LOL And he is Chomping at the bit to go squirrel hunting.
When I was a kid we took the.22 out but now a days with so many homes in a one mile radius I will not or let him shoot into the air or tree's with them so the next choice was the newer 1250 feet per second pellet guns. When you use alloy pellets they crack as loud as the .22. :)

http://www.farmallmagneto.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:31 pm 

Not doing to much, still working on the JD 1010 crawler that I purchased last summer, been nothing but a money pit, hole in the ground that I just keep putting money in!! Bad as a boat!!! Get one thing fixed and then find something else that needs fixed also, then have to order more parts, wait until they get here. Seems like it is a never end project. I have piston laying on dinning room table with new rings installed, and I don't have to worry about a better half complaining about engine parts in the dinning room,, DON"T HAVE ONE. just 18 yr old daughter, Shawn and I.

Went to put dirty clothes in the utility room couple weeks ago, the daughter started the washer before she went to school, open the door and utility was flooded. Got my craftsman shop vac stated vacuuming up water, hhhmmm wasn't making any headway, so opened lid on washer, water was just running straight out, no water staying in tub. Shut off washer, finally got mess cleaned up mess. Thur the washer out in the back yard.. Hated the durn thing anyway (Sears) would tie clothes in knots.. Then had to remodel utility for new to me washer and dryer. Boy what a mess in an old farm house, new drain and redo the hot and cold supply water. Bought good used front load Frigidaire washer and dryer for $100.00, real happy with both so far.

Never ending projects to do, told one of my friends "when I get all my projects finished I will be looking at the wrong side of the grass".. lol

Hope everyone is having a productive winter.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:23 am 

Wow Keith you have been busy! I will send some cold weather your way and you can make a ice skating rink in your washer room. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:11 am 
Iron Baron

Warm weather where? I am sick of snow. Thursday was the only afternoon all week that I did not spend plowing snow and that only because I went to visit my landlord who broke his hip. Today I am going to look at a grain drill that is coming up on online auction.

He can drive his plow through the nigger-wool,
make fields and roads go every way, build him a fine house
and wear the stiff collar, and yet he will always look like the grass where
the buffalo have eaten and smell of the new ground he has trod.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:16 pm 

saturday and today were in the low 40s here in NY. pretty warm for January. we have had, in the last month, several periods of time when it was so cold that keeping the manure scraped down in the barns was almost impossible. when it warms up a bit, the spreader gets run a lot. its also nice to not have to keep carrying hot water to thaw out the frost free waterers in the heifer barn. and fix bed chains in the feeder wagon.
i'm in the process of selling the milking cows, like i did 3 years ago. then, we kept our heifers, and are milking about as many as we had last time. this time there won't be any restart of milking here.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:28 pm 

Wow, Howard! I feel for you. We're going to have a cool-down here in a few days. The weather girl is calling for 80+ the next few days before a drop to 77 by Thursday. BTW, I 'm 40 miles north of Nogales, Mexico.

'37 A, '38 B, '48 B, '50 B, '54 50, '54 70, '25 Model E (1 1/2hp), '47 IHC Model LB (1 1/2-2 1/2hp), Fairbanks-Morse Model Z, Style D 2hp(Salt Block)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:39 pm 

nybill wrote:
saturday and today were in the low 40s here in NY. pretty warm for January. we have had, in the last month, several periods of time when it was so cold that keeping the manure scraped down in the barns was almost impossible. when it warms up a bit, the spreader gets run a lot. its also nice to not have to keep carrying hot water to thaw out the frost free waterers in the heifer barn. and fix bed chains in the feeder wagon.
i'm in the process of selling the milking cows, like i did 3 years ago. then, we kept our heifers, and are milking about as many as we had last time. this time there won't be any restart of milking here.

that is one thing I do not miss about having animals, Having to unfreeze water all winter.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:16 am 
Master Mechanic

Today is gonna be high 40's thursday 50's gonna see if I can get to woods and skid out some logs, will probably use farmall H.
Wife said next week 60's! :)