The Cowboard

Farm and Ranch Antique Tractor Discussion

It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Super C Carburetor Question
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:05 pm 

Howdy, boys. Long time no post.

Ran the Super C out of gas a while back. Took the opportunity to remove the sediment bowl and scrape the red paint off the glass, which the previous owner must have thought looked good. Examined the screen; looked good. Reinstalled the bowl and added a gallon or two of new gas. It seemed to take forever for the gas to fill the bowl (air block?) but it finally filled.

Next thing I know, it's leaking like crazy from the bottom of the carburetor--really dripping out fast. I believe it's a Carter carburetor. Dripping seems to be from a plug at the bottom. There's no drain fixture to get hold of--only a plug or disc in a hole (with a tiny hole in the middle of the disc). It's leaking along the rim of the disc where it contacts the edge of the hole in the carburetor body.

I'm dumber than you-know-what when it comes to carburetors (engines, too, for that matter), but has anyone got an answer to my problem? I think I would have noticed this before had it been leaking like it is. Just for info, I had never shut off the gas at the sediment bowl. Just left it on, like it was when I bought it. Never touched it until I removed the bowl. It turns hard, but it will shut the flow off.

Thanks in advance.

David

Post subject: Re: Super C Carburetor Question
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:14 pm 

David, Should be a screen in the elbow going into the carb, remove line and clean screen also.
Gas leak out like you said would be stuck float and open needle valve. Could be rust in there remove carb bottom and clean inside and blow air through all the openings. oldiron29

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:20 am 
Iron Baron

Actually David. If you turn the gas off so it stops dripping. Wait overnight and start the tractor, then turn the gas on. Tap lightly on the carburetor while the tractor is running it will probably fix itself. Like John says, your float valve is not sealing, it probably picked up a flake of rust or dirt when you ran the tractor out of gas.

He can drive his plow through the nigger-wool,
make fields and roads go every way, build him a fine house
and wear the stiff collar, and yet he will always look like the grass where
the buffalo have eaten and smell of the new ground he has trod.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:23 pm 

Thanks to Howard and Old Iron for their suggestions.

I was all ready to try Howard's solution first, since it didn't require taking the carburetor apart. But I just got a screwdriver first and went around the carburetor lightly tapping the screwdriver handle on it, which was an idea a friend of mine gave me. Then I tried the starter. Varooom...started right up.

In fact, it started better than it has since I bought it. Later found out the battery was getting weaker and weaker as time went on, due to a voltage regulator that was not working. So it was discharging all the time. Have a new one on order.

Now all I need is a barn to store it and work on it. Somehow in the past year I have added four red tractors (2 H's [including Grandpa's H], an M and the Super C) and only two of them have a home (roof). Some zoning problems I need to try to fix.

Thanks again, guys.

David