The Cowboard

Farm and Ranch Antique Tractor Discussion

It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2 doors down from the middle of no where
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:24 pm 
Master Mechanic

I told Stan I need a good month of trucking before I can afford to take a trip east, so he picked up 10 load of feed going from Wood River to 20 miles north of Dunning. Highway 2 is a nice road, except for all the RVs that can't hit 60, or hold a steady speed, and the minivans that get rolling along and drop 5 mph on a flat straight open section of highway for no reason. The place is right on the North Loup and they have a bunch of ihc tractors including a French one, a 785.

Now, I'm going to pick up a friend and go to North Platte, so she can hunt her pokemons and maybe we'll see if the mini golf place is open. I've about forgot what it's like to go act stupid and have fun.

Post subject: Re: 2 doors down from the middle of no where
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:04 am 

Good that your getting some work. I didn't even know what a pokyman was until about a month ago. Please stay off of private property. I've had to turn a few around that were headed into the pasture.I guess word got around about the crazy man with the pistol on his hip because I haven't seen any more.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:05 pm 
Iron Baron

If there is any Pokemans in my pasture the cows already ate them so STAY OUT. Have fun. And take you truck off cruise and run it with the foot feed. a novel idea I know but it saves a lot of stress.

He can drive his plow through the nigger-wool,
make fields and roads go every way, build him a fine house
and wear the stiff collar, and yet he will always look like the grass where
the buffalo have eaten and smell of the new ground he has trod.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:27 am 
Master Mechanic

Trouble with not using the cruise in and FLD freightliner, is the way I have to twist my knee and ankle, run the foot feed all day, and my knee will kill me for days. Can't get the seat far away from the pedals enough. And I don't have time or patience to do 45 mph behind a mid 90s conversion van all the way from Wood River to Dunning.

The Taco John's I had for breakfast last Sunday morning in Broken Bow and rain conspired against doing anything with Ashley last Monday. I was supposed to work in the shop this week while Jon drove my truck. It's got new drives and needs an alignment, so it's squirrelly, so he won't drive it, so his will be down another day, and I got to leave for Colby at 5 last night.

I'm taking at least one day off this weekend and both next weekend. There's a sale in indianola I want to go to.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:04 pm 

If you are going 20 miles north of Dunning you must be going through Purdum, 3 1/2 east and about that back south? Maybe to a STINKY hog farm? I grew up just across the river where you turn back south.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:21 pm 

I hope I never have to drive another FL Freightliner,my right foot hurts just thinking about it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:41 pm 
Master Mechanic

I can't remember his last name, Gaylen is his first name. 91 to Hawley Flats Rd, turn left just before it crosses the river.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:02 pm 

That would be Gaylen Lewis. He is about 4 miles east of where I grewup. You came in the back way, not that its any rougher. Probably closer to Gaylen's place that way then the other.
I didn't realize he was feeding that much.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:54 am 
Master Mechanic

10 loads, they mixed it with ground hay and packed it in a pile.
By the looks of the map, that's the shortest way in. Not bad, just take it easy.

I couldn't live alone out there. Only see 3 houses after turning out of Dunning.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:29 am 

When I was a kid, there were 2 school buses that left in different directions from the Gaylen's driveway. 1 went the way you go, the other went north, back through Purdum and Halsey. Both ended up in Dunning. Now, I don't think there are 100 kids in K through 12th grade. There used to be 3 families that lived from Gaylen's mailbox on in there.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:47 pm 
Master Mechanic

Do they still go to Dunning, or do they get bussed to the newer school at Merna, I think it is, at the highway 2/92 junction?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:58 pm 

Still go to Dunning. Before I started Kindergarten, Purdum had a school, Halsey and Dunning were separate. There was a school north of Gaylon's about 4 miles and they had just closed the Hawley Flatts school. Today they are all combined. Halsey has the grade school, Dunning the high, and I doubt there are 100 students K-12.