The Cowboard

Farm and Ranch Antique Tractor Discussion

It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tractor Suggestions
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:23 pm 
Iron Baron

If i wanted to upgrade my 656 to something maybe 20 years old, what would be my options? Need a flat-deck open station with 1000 rpm PTO option.

He can drive his plow through the nigger-wool,
make fields and roads go every way, build him a fine house
and wear the stiff collar, and yet he will always look like the grass where
the buffalo have eaten and smell of the new ground he has trod.

Post subject: Re: Tractor Suggestions
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:04 am 

I'm interested in the responses, I'm looking for something similar to replace my 826. Have they made anything like that in the last 30 years? Everything I've found that has a 1000 rpm PTO is 120 HP or bigger and has a cab. I would like the cab but don't need that big of a tractor. I prefer dual PTO.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:13 am 

can't help you there, howard. my newest tractor is a 1982 5288. all the smaller ones are series before the 88s. fwiw, my Britain-built 784 has 540 and 1000 pto's, but the 1000 shaft is UNDER the 540 shaft. must be a british thing. all my USA built IH's have the 1000 shaft on top.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:25 pm 
Iron Baron

I'll keep looking. I saw a TW20 Ford on Big Iron this morning that looked like about the thing. It sold today for $10,250 http://www.bigiron.com/Lots/1980FordTw20TractorLoader

I also found a 4230 JD with Hiniker cab but those seem to bring big bucks. I wonder if my best bet is to watch for another good 806. Finding anything newer with no cab and 2 wheel drive is a thing of the past.

I bought a McDon swather that is 1000 pto. I can run it with my 806 but I like that on the baler too. Besides I kinda like a plan B if a tractor breaks down. I'm in no hurry. I have all winter to look.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:54 pm 

your 20YO qualification was what threw me. that would be 1996, which to me seems like "almost new", even though they could have north of 10k hours and are still priced like they were almost new.

anyway, back to your question, there are still 56 and 66 series out there w/o cabs. my 1466 came with the IH "stupid cab" that you couldn't see out of. I took it off and it just has a roll bar now. my 1086 with the 4 post rops and windshield is an ideal haying tractor. shade and whatever breeze comes along. it stays on the discbine mostly. I like the shifting better on my 56 series, than on my 06 series. all my IHs are 2wd except for the 2+2s.

fwiw, I have never been impressed with the 4230s; never had one, but owners have complained about fuel use w/o the horsepower of the 4430s.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:42 am 
Iron Baron

Yeah a 1086 would be good to watch for i think. Wanting something newer is a pipe dream. They don't make good tractors anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:04 am 

howard, a couple more thoughts on a 4320. you have only the 8 speed synchro and I think they could have their 8spd power shift transmission. with IH ta, you have double the speed choices. also, with JD, you have to change the shafts when you go between 540 and 1000. on the 20 series, I think its just uses a snap ring. on my 3010 and 4010, it takes 4 cap screws. I also have a white 2-105 that uses 4 cap screws and a shift rod adjustment to change speeds. minor annoyances, but just the same....
the IH ptos for the big tractors all have both shafts right there. 1206 and 1456/66 came with just 1000 shafts, but all mine had been switched out before I bought them, to the dual speed units. I believe that any unit from the 706 to 9/1066 will interchange, so its no biggie if that needed to be done.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:22 pm 
Master Mechanic

The 20 through 50 series jd has two snap rings, one holds the shaft in the pto, the other holds the other shaft in the storage position. And the storage position I do believe is open to the inside when the shaft isn't in the hole. It helps to have compressed air to clean around them first, too.

They used an 8 speed power shift through the 40 series, and it's a slam-banger. The 50 series went 15 speed but they have a couple spots, I,think 12 and 13 is one, where the next gear is pointless the ratio is so close.

I'd go with some permutation of the quad range jd before a power shift jd. Especially for loader work, reverse is slow in the power shift. And harder to hit the gear you are after when changing direction, may be a consideration on the baler. Open station was available up through the 55 series.

I also believe the 6 and 7 were the only 86 series available with an open station. If you take the windshield out of an 86 series cab be sure to brace the stack. And leave the lower glass in. It helps deflect engine heat. If the windshield is in and the back window open or out, dust will roll up around the fuel tank and coat you. Even at low speed, and with any amount of a breeze.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:48 pm 
Iron Baron

Quote:
If the windshield is in and the back window open or out, dust will roll up around the fuel tank and coat you. Even at low speed, and with any amount of a breeze.

That's good to know Scot. The 806 cab sits far enough back that the back window being open is seldom a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:59 pm 
Master Mechanic

I don't know why, but the 86 series cab/rops is bad like that, must be the shape of the fuel tank on the back of the cab. Hauling silage with the 786, I'd be coated in road dust by lunchtime. The IH cab on the 1566, Year-a-round on the 1066, and even the 2+2 didn't seem to be as bad.

The under-hood muffler doesn't like an unbraced stack. My uncle took the windshield out to bale with it and didn't put the brace back on our 786. It got a second brace put on it after it broke the outlet out of the muffler.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:30 am 

I'm not much a fan of green but there are several of the 6300 and 6400 JD tractors around that folks around here like. Not too many without a cab but there are a few. They have the flat deck, I don't know about the 1000 PTO. Around here the Deere dealer is the only one with a decent reputation within 100 miles.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:19 pm 
Iron Baron

I know what i'd like. A low houred 706 turbo diesel with 3 point.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:33 am 

I like the 86 series stuff mechanically and I don't think you can go wrong with one. My gripe on an 86 series is the ass backwards cab doors and controls. If the had doors that open to the front (versus hinge at the front) the back window would actually be useful. But as Scot pointed out, its a dustbowl waiting to happen. If you get used to the controls being different I think you would like a 1086

I may have to call out to Idaho, I heard there might be a 1066 hydro coming in. that would be a nice little unit to have

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:22 pm 
Master Mechanic

TW's I think are good, yes the Green ones out our way are expensive too, just cant see spendin all that money, but that's me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:52 pm 

I will say that the early CaseIH tractors, Maxxums and Magnums are nice tractors, but as said there is still a good demand for them so they cost a decent penny. Plus alot of them are getting there where they need some big TLC. Did a transmission in a 7140 Magnum and one in 5220 Maxxumm at work this spring, Magnum was about $19,000, and Maxxum was round $16,000, course good 1/2 of both of them is labor.

I will second like a 1086 as well. They are nice once you get used to the shifting and hydraulics. The doors never really bugged me getting in and out, but they are just a dust bowl maker like the others said. I spent a summer doing lots of hay with a 986, just took the doors completely off as the AC didn't work, was not near as bad with the doors off, still wasn't the cleanest thing in dry fields, but then what is. 88 series are also nice, but of course also expensive.

The TW Fords are nice tractors, but some of the parts are harder to find for them and depending what you're needing are quite expensive when you do find them.

706 with a turbo would be mighty nice. I picked up a turbo setup to put on my Wheatie, just cause. :)