The Cowboard

Farm and Ranch Antique Tractor Discussion

It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rain
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:38 pm 

I probably just have a short memory. I don't remember dry years being as big of a problem as wet ones. The last 2 years have been wet. I have more hay that I need and the pastures are lush. However the heat and high dew point is breeding ground for flies and disease. Everyone has had a bad pinkeye problem and the vaccines didn't help. Last year I had a foot rot problem and this year it's anaplasmosis. The lush pastures don't have the food value that dry grass has and the cattle just don't look as healthy. Also, in this humidity the bulls don't want to work. In dry years getting enough hay has been a problem but for the most part the cattle are healthier. I'll quit whining and get ready to cut more hay :lol:

Post subject: Re: Rain
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:54 am 
Iron Baron

I have a neighbor that is fighting pinkeye. Cattle are grazing down through the tall grass so he is haying the bottoms to see if that will help. We had another .80 Thursday so everything is staying green for this time of year. I have to start on 3rd cutting alfalfa Monday. I agree, hard grass makes more flesh than lush grass. To a point. It's hard to do anything with zero rain. I've never done anything about pinkeye. It seems to run it's course and you will get a few blue eyes but I don't know as I have ever had one end up completely blind in both eyes although they may be for a time. They seem to get over it about the same whether you treat or not and it saves the cattle a lot of grief if you don't handle them.

He can drive his plow through the nigger-wool,
make fields and roads go every way, build him a fine house
and wear the stiff collar, and yet he will always look like the grass where
the buffalo have eaten and smell of the new ground he has trod.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:33 pm 

I've tried treating pinkeye and it will usually get well in about 3 weeks. If I don't do anything it takes about 21 days :lol: . The trouble I have is if they get it in both eyes. Since they graze along the river some have fallen in and drowned. I haven't lost any this year but I've got 3 up in the barn lot that are blind now. Keeping them on shorter grass helps but not always. The vet tells me that what we've had the last couple of years is a different strain of pinkeye than what we usually have. Until last year I didn't have over 3-4 cases a year.
I lost a cow to anaplasmosis this year. That's the 1st in over 10 years since I started keeping out medicated mineral. I'm told that since the VFD kicks in Jan 1, medicated mineral will only be available by a vet's prescription and only on a per animal basis. There is a vaccine for anaplas but I don't know how effective it is. I may try it next spring.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:57 pm 
Iron Baron

I am not familiar at all with anaplasmosis. It appears to be a warmer climate problem? Oh yes, they will make cattle raising a lot less fun if we have to get a prescription for every animal that needs treated. What they don't know is; I can quit. (or maybe they do know and don't care)

He can drive his plow through the nigger-wool,
make fields and roads go every way, build him a fine house
and wear the stiff collar, and yet he will always look like the grass where
the buffalo have eaten and smell of the new ground he has trod.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:55 am 

Yep Anaplasmosis is usually a warmer/wet weather disease. When we were in south Arkansas in the 60's and 70's, it was a big problem. A 5% death loss from grown cows wasn't uncommon. I've read that Kansas has had several cases this year. Cattle that survive are resistant but they are carriers.
My brangus and shorthorn cattle seem to be more resistant to the problems I've had than my angus. I've been using angus bulls for the last 7 years and I like the calves, the calving ease and they sell good. But they have been harder to keep healthy.