The Cowboard

Farm and Ranch Antique Tractor Discussion

It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: been a while
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:22 pm 
Master Mechanic

since I looked in here.

I went to an auction a few weeks ago over to Palisade, the toolboxes were cheap craftsman, the tools weren't much, so I decided to go to Cabela's, and ended up going to Panorama Point and having supper over at the Cheyenne TA. Didn't realize how much of a valley I-80 runs through at the state line til I came down off the Pine Bluffs. And it's the first time I ran the speed limit in Wyoming without the assistance of a long downhill grade. Broke a cord in a front tire on the way home.

Last week I did most of the work changing a clutch in a Peterbilt myself. Had help dropping the transmission, and a guy came up from the truck stop after work to bolt up the transmission and new clutch.

I'll just say my former employer has really shown who he really is lately.

Pool team won regionals, so we get to go to Vegas. Team captain's dad said he'd drive us for $100 apiece when we were looking at plane tickets. Famous last words. That's in 4 or 5 weeks. APA gives us 3 or 4 hundred for travel expenses, so we're making out on that deal.

Been talking to a girl from up north of here. She's pretty cool. She has a toy tractor collection, too.

Well, bedtime. One of our drivers is in Kearney with his wife trying to figure out a sudden health problem, so I get to drive truck this week.

Oh, Howard, didn't know if you recognized the idiot in the freightliner blowing his horn at you today.

Post subject: Re: been a while
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:33 am 
Iron Baron

Oh yeah, I thought that was you scot in that white truck. It's a longer nose job than most of the cake trucks I see. Is that what they call "western"?

He can drive his plow through the nigger-wool,
make fields and roads go every way, build him a fine house
and wear the stiff collar, and yet he will always look like the grass where
the buffalo have eaten and smell of the new ground he has trod.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:44 am 
Master Mechanic

That's probably the most common hood length you'll find. That's probably the shortest-wheelbase tractor you'll find down here with a sleeper. The Peterbilts have the same length hood but a lot more wheelbase to fit the lift axle and fuel tanks. Some of the Petes and Kenworths running out of here have been daycabbed, they have the long wheelbase, but no sleeper. Some of the companies run factory daycabs, they are really short-wheelbased, which makes them nice for getting into places, but they ride a little rougher and if you need to take a nap, well, there isn't much of an option on that.

NCP's daycabs are really light, I guess they can haul 30 ton. I can haul about 27.5 on the Freightliner, the Petes can haul about 28.5 ton, they weight a fair bit more empty. Since Kansas only allows 85,500 pounds gross weight, I run as many of those as I can, since my truck is lighter than the other 2, I can haul more.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:30 pm 

Scott , if you had let me know I could have met you at the TA, eat, then took you to the missile site to see the double deckers, caboose and RR car 57.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:21 pm 
Master Mechanic

Wyo-Bob wrote:
Scott , if you had let me know I could have met you at the TA, eat, then took you to the missile site to see the double deckers, caboose and RR car 57.

I tried on facebook. Didn't know another way to try.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:01 pm 

I didn't remember you played billiards Scott. I plaid for 8 years or so here in Freeport Illinois and absolutely love the game. I stopped playing when one night playing caused 3-4 nights of back pain. The end simply didn't justify the means. Do you recognize Mike Brubaker or Tom "Swede" Olson's names from Freeport Illinois or Jim "Lump" Wirth from SW Ohio? All 3 are good friends of mine and I believe all 3 go to LV to play. Good luck my friend.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:26 pm 
Master Mechanic

Don't recognize the names. This will be my first time going. Not exactly thrilled about going, but it's hard to argue against it considering the travel allowance, cheap ride, and last place winnings will be near $400 each with 3 of us not going.