The Cowboard

Farm and Ranch Antique Tractor Discussion

It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bob, is this a RR oops??
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:19 pm 

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2016/06/28/giant-fireball-after-2-freight-trains-collide-in-texas/

BNSF-- I wonder if crude oil is involved??

'37 A, '38 B, '48 B, '50 B, '54 50, '54 70, '25 Model E (1 1/2hp), '47 IHC Model LB (1 1/2-2 1/2hp), Fairbanks-Morse Model Z, Style D 2hp(Salt Block)

Post subject: Re: Bob, is this a RR oops??
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:47 pm 

Araid so Rusty, equipment failure or hate to say it but maybe human. Smoke" Diesel fuel from the units, 3 crew are still missing, sadly, afraid they were probably killed and cooked by the looks of it, how 1 got out is great, maybe he jumped just before. Think this may beat the mid 60's Pines Bluffs, Wyo. derailment, as there was no fire and it was west bound #8 Blow against the east bound cars, guys just watched the fire works and rode it out safely.

Yours' truly on the D8 to the left.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:10 pm 

Rusty you never know tho, this is what caused the derailment above, Was left on the tracks and east bound hit it and knocked it into a crossover switch stand, that sent his train into the west bound track and here comes #8 Blow for a corn field meet.

Also in the above pictures that is the NP derrick, the Cheyenne derrick was to the right out of the pic. Guy standing at front of the Blow is Lenard Zieler, smartest turbine man on earth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:08 pm 

I saw that on the news. I sure hate to see those, I've got a couple of good friends that work for BNSF.

A couple of years ago there was a head on wreck on the UP. It killed 2 crew members and injured 2 more. I could see the smoke from the fire at my house. There is a BNSF and UP intersection just north of where this happened. It could have been much worse.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.1906762

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:54 pm 

Well so much for container's like they said yesterday, looks like could be Wyoming soda ash in them long sliver ones. Had a 40+ cars of that stuff west of Rawlins, Wyo. took 2 weeks for my eyes to get back to normal. Sorry to hear about the 2 crew that were killed, glad 1 more found alive.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:19 am 

That was just terrible to hear about, specially with the three crew members lost.

That is one big wreck there Bob, crazy to see one of the turbines in a wreck like that, had to be one crazy ride, thanks for sharing the photos.

Worst wreck I've heard about around the Twin Cities was back in 1996, a 90+ car freight was heading down grade into the St. Paul Yards, where BNSF, CP and UP all criss-cross when an air line kinked near the front of the train, barreled into the yard doing 45-50mph and they weren't able to line the switches, ended up running head on into three parked locomotives near the old freight depot, derailed six locomotives an forty-some freight cars, all piled across several tracks and all around the depot, several injuries but the wreck did not claim any lives.