The Cowboard

Farm and Ranch Antique Tractor Discussion

It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Great RR Weekend.
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:31 pm 

After one year if not knowing if life was over just thinking of this weekend most of had some healing power as I started feeling like doing some thing last week.
Guess I'm expected to have a dozen donuts in the break room by 9:00 Monday and i can even have a cup. LOL>
Was a fun day all around, even the clown that wanted to bet me that UP never double headed 6900's, told him to put up a $1,000.00 and you are on at 2-1, he took off running. Dip. I seen them with 2 more engines on besides the double head. 13,800 HP +

#1, Setup in the Depot on the just finished turn table, notice the dual gauge track, this is about 1% of the total layout that Harry Brunt spent 30 years building.

After 1 jerk 3 years ago tried to sue UP because he tripped over the rail in the picture, so as you see you can't even get close enough to touch one now.
Sure glad Larry and them guys let me set up a tour rather than come to this, they sure would have been disappointed of the Steam Shop. Only takes 1 to screw it up for 1000's

Not much progress on 4014, trying to get 844 going for July Denver/Cheyenne run. Thought they would have the cab back on by now, but not yet. The guy working on 844 will be one of the engineers on it.

My friend's double double decker bus's that I did the first start and run in 7 years, yes cab is on the wrong side.

UP's mini train,

And best was I found a good Picture of #8 Blow, it is the one that was in the head on in Pines Bluffs, Wyo, and my first of many derailment cleanup's. A mere 8500 HP while supping up bunker oil..

Post subject: Re: A Great RR Weekend.
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:15 am 
Iron Baron

Glad you had fun Bob. I sure enjoyed it the year I came.

He can drive his plow through the nigger-wool,
make fields and roads go every way, build him a fine house
and wear the stiff collar, and yet he will always look like the grass where
the buffalo have eaten and smell of the new ground he has trod.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:11 am 

Man that looks like tons of fun as usual Bob. I'm hoping to make a trip out there this summer. Don't know if I will get to see much though since it is all about timing.

Here's a few photos for you especially Bob, I was on my way home from work bout a month ago, and I saw they had brought a couple of locomotives and cars up to get ready for the summer, the Minnesota Transportation Museum does weekend train rides out of Osceola, WI, in conjunction with Osceola's historical society. Anyway I saw they were shunting the coaches around getting them in place and testing all the brakes after they sat for the winter, so I was sitting at one of the picnic tables watching them for awhile, and talking with the conductor and brakeman as they went past. Then at one shunt the engineer ended up right across the main track from me and was talking and he invited me into the cab, and well you know I couldn't say no. :D :D Spent three hours riding with him and talking, he had all kinds of stories, he has run trains over the High Bridge south of there (185 feet above the river) and he used to run local freights on the line the museum train follows as a conductor back in the 90s before Canadian Pacific took over the line. He said the scariest thing was once in awhile they'd get an ex-Norfolk Southern unit that weighed over 425,000 pounds, which is alot for a spur track, and they had to take it over the swing bridge across the river, that is original 1880s bridge, it has never been updated, and at the time the footings had not been redone. He said it was one heck of an eerie feeling, they'd slow way down and crawl across the old bridge with that monster. He also said a few years back they made a spur of the moment trip out to Cheyenne and got to tour the whole steam operation setup out there.

Anyways here's what they were shunting with, Great Northern 400 "Hustle Muscle" first SD45 built, has a V-20 645 prime mover, weighs in at about 371,000 pounds and has 3,600 ponies.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:03 pm 

JJ don't know where my other post went, so start over. You lucky one, being at the right place, at the right time, and the right engineer. glad it worked for you. If you do come this way, let me know before hand, I might can get a private tour set up, and you will see 10 times what the depot days was. Thanks to the clown that tried to sue UP because he said he tripped over a rail, 100's of others didn't. Glad you enjoyed the pictures, should have taken more.