The Cowboard

Farm and Ranch Antique Tractor Discussion

It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Calving progress
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:50 pm 
Iron Baron

I'll give a little report for those curious. Started a week ago, have right at half the calves on the ground so it's been busy. No major problems. Most of the cows just lay down and have them. Currently one first calf heifer is taking "mother" school. She claims her baby fine but she kicks it off and won't let it nurse. I told her I did not care how many lessons it took. It's not my head that is getting caught in the chute. I just set down on the ground and rest for an hour while the calf eats so it's not my problem. I did have a little run-in with a cow Wednesday, she rooted me around about as much as I have ever been. I'm pretty stiff and sore but getting better every day. I had the doc look at my leg today and he gave me a tetanus shot and prescribed an antibiotic just in case. I don't need leg problems! I'm doing pretty good at keeping up with tagging. I did leave one today as the mother acted just a tad too aggressive and I was not up to taking chances. So that's my story. What's yours?

He can drive his plow through the nigger-wool,
make fields and roads go every way, build him a fine house
and wear the stiff collar, and yet he will always look like the grass where
the buffalo have eaten and smell of the new ground he has trod.

Post subject: Re: Calving progress
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:04 pm 

I just got started calving last week. So far I've got 7 on the ground, 5 bulls and 2 heifers. No problems and, so far no twins, last year I had enough twins to last a couple of years. Breeding season was miserably hot and humid last summer and the boys didn't work as hard so my calving will be longer this spring. That's why I like my fall calving better.

I quit tagging as castrating baby calves a few years ago. I was tagging one and the next thing I was flying through the air like superman. I was lucky that I was just a little shaken, I don't need any more injuries either. Howard I'm a one man show like you and keeping them tagged just ain't worth it. I know my cows and can tag them later. I found out a couple of years ago that it takes too many steers to pay hospital and doctor bills, and that was when the price was better.

I finally got to turn the cows into the river bottom. I'll keep a couple of bales out but they probably will leave them. I had over 150 bales left over this year. :D :D

Post subject: Re: Calving progress
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:09 am 

Howard, Glad you are feeling better.