The Cowboard

Farm and Ranch Antique Tractor Discussion

It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I Got the H
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:29 pm 

Paid $900. It's a good thing that the young man I was bidding against stopped when he did, cause I was at the top of my range. Tires are not perfect but lots of rubber and tread on them. Some cracking is evident. Tin is good. Engine runs very smooth. Gears all work well, though I haven't tried road gear yet. Brakes probably need replacing, but I think I can do that. If I did it on my Super M, I ought to be able to handle an H, right? A couple of M's at the auction went for $1,200 to $1,500, I believe. Also a wide-wheeled C went for $1,350.

Couple of interesting features. The front tires on this 41 H have two ribs, not the usual three I am used to seeing. What's that all about?

Also, the starter switch is in front of the steering post, at the bottom. It's not mounted higher on the side of the post. You activate the switch by pushing with your foot on a short lever. I'm used to the M foot starters that you step down on, but with this one you push it with your foot. It needs a little TLC, works so-so.

The battery case is gone, of course. It seems that someone mounted some kind of plate there that bends 90 degrees and comes down on the side of the engine to stabilize it. That probably caused some battery interference with the choke lever, so that's been rerouted toward the side and held at the corner of the light bar by some cobbled up O-fitting. Shouldn't the choke lever come through the assembly at the bottom of the steering post, next to the shutter crank if it has one? That's what I'm used to on H's.

Looks like I have to go back to Red School again.

BTW, is anyone is interested in a beautifully restored Super C, I know where there is one. Don't know the price, but I think I saved the telephone number.

Thanks for all your advice. It really helped.

David

Post subject: Re: I Got the H
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:07 pm 
Iron Baron

Sounds like you got a good one. You will like it. I think the H is my all time fav. easy to drive, easy to steer, quiet. If they still built them I'd buy a new one. I guess I don't know if some of the last Hs may have had the foot starter. I have a fairly late one and it does not. But of course anyone could add one. The Choke I think routes through the rear tank support with this spring friction device which is always missing. How it routes around the air breather cup and either over or behind the battery box is anybodies guess.

He can drive his plow through the nigger-wool,
make fields and roads go every way, build him a fine house
and wear the stiff collar, and yet he will always look like the grass where
the buffalo have eaten and smell of the new ground he has trod.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:10 am 

Some Hs had battery mounted on the side, believe those were used if it had the belt pulley on, wasn't room for battery under fuel tank (?), could be wrong!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:33 am 

oldred1950 wrote:
Some Hs had battery mounted on the side, believe those were used if it had the belt pulley on, wasn't room for battery under fuel tank (?), could be wrong!!!

I think you might be right, oldred. I took a look again today and saw that there may be no way a battery could fit under the centerline of the fuel tank. The belt pulley gearbox and flange won't allow it. This battery is not "hanging way off" the side either; it's under the fuel tank a bit and hangs off the side a bit. I might have thought the farmer added this platform because it seems to be unpainted, unlike most of the tractor.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:37 pm 
Master Mechanic

You said it was a '41. Here is a '39, is it like this?

http://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/ ... 602917.jpg

or this

http://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/ ... er-switch/

....James

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:34 pm 
Iron Baron

Oh, the dual ribs David. They were popular in the 1960s. You hardly ever see them any more.

He can drive his plow through the nigger-wool,
make fields and roads go every way, build him a fine house
and wear the stiff collar, and yet he will always look like the grass where
the buffalo have eaten and smell of the new ground he has trod.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:43 pm 

jwal10 wrote:

James...yes, thanks, almost. But what you push with your foot is not a straight rod like the top picture; mine is curved unto a U-shape, more like the second picture by redgreen. And yet, the second picture shows a piece of bar stock (which might contact the button better). Again, mine is rod stock and bent into the U-shape. The tractor-forward end is bent back again to provide more contact with the button. As I said, it works OK but not super well. Each time I started the tractor, I had to kick it several times. I'll adjust it somehow.

Here's another thing that made me laugh. At the auction, the tires on this old girl were very mud-covered, as if the farmer (who was there and let me drive it) had driven through some muddy ground somewhere and then took the tractor to the auction. But guess what? The night after the auction, we had rain. And guess what again? When I next saw the tractor, the tires were a lot cleaner of mud, but more full of cracks. They really stood out! So come clean, you guys! Is this some old farmer's trick I didn't know about? I'm sure a nice coating of wet mud WOULD fill in cracks really well...at least temporarily!

David

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:08 pm 

My 1941 H had the foot operated starting with the single rod. As I have trouble with my feet, I got a bracket from Bates and converted it to be up by the amp meter box.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:02 pm 

Nebraska Cowman wrote:
Oh, the dual ribs David. They were popular in the 1960s. You hardly ever see them any more.
Dad always ran them on the H with the mounted 24 picker. All the rest had the tri rib.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:31 am 
Master Mechanic

Hey that is great, Im glad you got the H. If it runs drive stops(or sort of), for 900. you done good. Im with Cowman if they made those H's new Id buy one too. My 1941 H has been a great tractor I still use it in the hay field mostly raking now but if I need to I run it on the haybine or the baler with thrower. I really should paint it again it deserves it! The only thing added to mine is hydralic valve that gives me up and down pressure.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:39 am 

I have a 42 sitting in hedge for parts tractor. Man from what you describe it almost sounds like the starter my Early I think 53 SM has.

http://www.farmallmagneto.com