The Cowboard

Farm and Ranch Antique Tractor Discussion

It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need Your Advice - Farmall H at Auction
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:50 pm 

I need your advice.

I'm going to an auction tomorrow, looking at a 1941 H Farmall.

Needs some work, but seems to run well. A little blue smoke from the oil pan area, needs some substantial brake work/adjustment. Engine runs good and all gears work.

What would be a fair price, in your opinion?

David

Post subject: Re: Need Your Advice - Farmall H at Auction
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:15 pm 

tire condition? a new pair of 12.4x38s are $425 and up each, tube another maybe $60 each, mounting another $60-80 each, easily $1000+.
tractor you described with usable rubber on the back would bring $750-1000 here. newer/excellent tires would add $500- 800. we seem to be in a higher price system on the east coast.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:39 am 
Iron Baron

Needs some work? yeah, $500 - 1000 should buy it. A nicely restored one should be worth $2500 but it is awful hard to get that for one if you are selling.

He can drive his plow through the nigger-wool,
make fields and roads go every way, build him a fine house
and wear the stiff collar, and yet he will always look like the grass where
the buffalo have eaten and smell of the new ground he has trod.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:01 pm 

Watched one sell on Mecum auction on TV bring $40,000, wasn't restored or even repainted!! Don't ask me why!!! They said it was 1951 with low hours, how they determined or verified that I don't know, haven't seen many Hs with an hour meter!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:38 am 
Master Mechanic

1000 is a good buy if tin is ok runs moves tires hold air,tires are expensive, I have a 1941 farmall h, love it would never sell it I use it in the hay field rakin to balin if needed, god luck hope you get it and turns out to be a nice tractor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:08 am 

The $40,000 H was bought new by an older farmer. He used it 1 season before parking it in his shed. He had decided to rent the land out and drop out of farming. The tractor seen light of day occasionally. When he passed away the tractor stayed with a family member in the same building again only taken out for moments at a time. The gentleman who sold it at the Mecum auction was able to make the purchase of the tractor and he put it in the back of his barn only sporadically getting it out. When you looked the tractor over the fan and generator belts still a majority of them were still covered in factory paint. Even the tape that was wrapped around the spark plug wires that grouped them together at the factory was still in place. Apparently the guy who bought it goes to the extremes buying and storing factory original items that have engines. Motorcycles, cars, trucks, tractors, etc. He's from the North East somewhere. This was told me by the man who sold the tractor. They HOPED they could get 6 maybe 8 thousand for it and I think he even dropped his reserve thinking maybe he wouldn't get what he had hoped for. He had even given me a plausible explanation on the color discoloration of the paint but I don't remember what he had told me any more. I can't imagine the price it brought but his explanation seems legitimate.