The Cowboard

Farm and Ranch Antique Tractor Discussion

It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: another F30
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:50 pm 
Master Mechanic

I hauled home this 1936 F30 today to use for parts. It has IHC foot brakes and a PTO extension too 8) It was quite an adventure getting it loaded too..... It was missing the front wheels and one rear wheel so I had to bring some wheels and tires. The front was up on a block of wood, thankfully! so it was a simple matter to jack it up and put on the wheels. The tractor had been sitting there so long the right rear gear reduction housing had settled in the ground about 8-10 inches.... There is 6" of frost in the ground, but a 20 ton bottle jack under the axle housing and it broke the frost loose and lifted the rear of the tractor out of the hole. Naturally the brakes are stuck so neither rear wheel will turn, but I doubled my winch cable and used a snatch block and the tractor reluctantly crept aboard. :lol:

Oh, this makes F30 #5 too... :shock:

Attachments:
DSC00785.JPG
DSC00785.JPG [ 165.05 KB | Viewed 3549 times ]
DSC00784.JPG
DSC00784.JPG [ 165.6 KB | Viewed 3543 times ]

"Power concedes nothing without demand. Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."

Frederick Douglass

Post subject: Re: another F30
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:45 am 
Iron Baron

Looks like the ground is dry down there. I always hate to move anything in the winter. Glad you got it loaded OK

He can drive his plow through the nigger-wool,
make fields and roads go every way, build him a fine house
and wear the stiff collar, and yet he will always look like the grass where
the buffalo have eaten and smell of the new ground he has trod.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:36 am 

That gives me shivers, couple years ago I helped Mike load 3 dead one like that, cold windy day, some of the wheels slid all the way, why do days like that stick in your mind? :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:03 am 

Kirk, It is alway fun bring home dead tractors! Are you getting any closer to your F-30 corn pick project? How that going? oldiron29

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:45 am 
Master Mechanic

John, I am currently working on rebuilding the engine for my 1935 F30. I want to get it finished so I will have a running tractor to mount the picker on as I get sections of it rebuilt. I am hoping to start on the corn picker once the '35 F30 is complete.

"Power concedes nothing without demand. Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."

Frederick Douglass

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:04 am 
Master Mechanic

One can never have enough f series tractors :) Nice pic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:16 pm 
Master Mechanic

I hope you all are not getting tired of seeing this old rusty iron being worked on.. :roll:

After taking the engine apart, I discovered that it is in better condition than the one out of the other 1936 F30 I was going to rebuild and since this F30 already has the PTO extension and factory foot brakes installed, I decided that I will just rebuild this one :lol: I already started on the engine and have gotten done what I can until I get parts back from the machine shop. In the meantime I have been cleaning up the clutches for this and the 1935 F30 engine. They were pretty rusty and sure looked ugly at the beginning, but are looking better now. The pressure plates are being surface ground and an order has been placed for new clutch linings as well as some other odds and ends. Also started rebuilding water pumps, one is still in excellent condition and only needs to be cleaned up, the other is worn and needs some TLC....

The engine for the '35 F30 is pretty much done and ready to be installed, but I need to haul the rest of the tractor from the other farm to the shop. It has been warm enough the past week that there is no longer any frost in the ground and it is a muddy sloppy mess... No chance of being able to get near it now..

Crankshaft with new main bearings installed.
Pulling the crankshaft into the block after installing new main bearings.
Machining the front cover to accept a modern oil seal to replace the original felt seal.

Frederick Douglass

Last edited by Nebraska Kirk on Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:16 am 
Master Mechanic

We never get tired of your works. You just need to remember to include pictures :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:37 pm 
Master Mechanic

I spent today rebuilding the governor. The gear was VERY loose on the shaft and the shaft was also very loose in the bushing. Not only was the bushing worn, the shaft was worn too. I ended up using new metric bushings. The outside diameter was a little large so I put the bushings on a mandrel and took a few thousandths off the OD until they were the right size to press in the housing. The inside diameter of the bushings was a little smaller than the shaft. I put the worn shaft in the lathe and took a little off to clean it up and make it round and true again and now it is a perfect fit in the new bushings.

To repair the loose gear, I first put the gear in the lathe and bored the hole slightly larger until it was true and round again, thenI welded up the shaft where the gear sets and turned it down to fit the gear. The gear then fit the shaft with the proper press fit.

Attachments:
DSC00817.JPG
DSC00817.JPG [ 173.85 KB | Viewed 3132 times ]
DSC00816.JPG
DSC00816.JPG [ 168.5 KB | Viewed 3130 times ]

Frederick Douglass

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:51 pm 
Master Mechanic

I rebuilt two carbs today and started on a third. Also machined the rear main seal retainer to accept a modern oil seal. Here are 2 rebuilt clutch discs too 8)

Attachments:
DSC00819.JPG
DSC00819.JPG [ 178.51 KB | Viewed 2962 times ]
DSC00818.JPG
DSC00818.JPG [ 195.1 KB | Viewed 3046 times ]

Frederick Douglass

Last edited by Nebraska Kirk on Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:45 pm 

always enjoy your pictures Kirk, especially the machine work

collector of pre-39 IH tractors, like steel wheels.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:31 am 

steve1530 wrote:
always enjoy your pictures Kirk, especially the machine work

I will second that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:03 pm 
Master Mechanic

I picked up the freshly bored sleeves from the machinist yesterday! Bored a 1/4" oversize to use 4.5" 15-30 pistons.
Attachment:
DSC00821.JPG
DSC00821.JPG [ 177.12 KB | Viewed 2883 times ]

Attachment:
DSC00822.JPG
DSC00822.JPG [ 183.6 KB | Viewed 2882 times ]

Frederick Douglass

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:41 pm 

how does the height work out with the 1530 pistons?

collector of pre-39 IH tractors, like steel wheels.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:57 pm 
Master Mechanic

No problem there, Steve. They are the exact same height as the original F30 pistons.

Frederick Douglass