The Cowboard

Farm and Ranch Antique Tractor Discussion

It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 10-20 PTO shaft
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:47 pm 
Master Mechanic

Dachshund told me he wanted a PTO shaft for his McCormick-Deering 10-20. Originals are not very common, so I said I would make one for him. On of my 10-20s has a factory PTO shaft so I copied it, but made a couple of changes. The original shaft uses one of those old Bower straight roller bearings, I made the new shaft to use a modern ball bearing. About 8" of the outer end of the original shaft is removable so when you are not using the PTO you can unscrew that part and cover up the hole with the tin cover, so it is not sticking out when you are using the tractor for belt pulley work, (PTO and belt pulley both turn at the same time) To simplify machining a new one, I just made the shaft all one piece.

Before I could make the shaft I had to find a piece of old PTO shaft to give me the splines as I don't have the fixtures and tooling for cutting splines on a shaft. I was looking on my iron racks to see if I could find a piece when an F20 axle shaft caught my eye, the splined end where the brake drum attaches looked to be about right so I grabbed a female PTO coupling and checked the fit. The splines turned out to be the right size! So I just made the entire PTO shaft out of that F20 axle shaft! It did require a LOT of turning on the lathe as I had to reduce the shaft diameter by 1/2" over most of it's length. I could tell the shaft was made out of good steel as it did not cut near as easy as ordinary mild steel.

The top shaft in the transmission has a threaded stub that sticks out the rear for the PTO shaft to screw on. I used a 3" long piece out of another F20 axle as it was the correct diameter. Then just bored out the center to 1.125" and threaded to 1-1/4" 7tpi LEFT HAND threads. This was my first time attempting internal and left hand threads, fortunately I already had an internal threading tool and it was not really any more difficult than right hand external threads, just have to reverse the direction of the carriage to get left hand threads. It did require a lot of passes to cut the threads to full depth, but after cutting them to what looked to be the same depth as the original, I took the piece and screwed it on where it goes on the tractor. The thread fit was good and it screwed on like it should. I machined the other end of the threaded coupler to be a press fit on the shaft and will weld them together to make it complete.

The first picture shows the original PTO shaft on top, new one in the middle and an F20 axle on the bottom. The second is a view of the threaded coupler, old vs. new.

Attachments:
DSC00738.JPG
DSC00738.JPG [ 206.59 KB | Viewed 1937 times ]
DSC00740.JPG
DSC00740.JPG [ 166.85 KB | Viewed 1937 times ]

"Power concedes nothing without demand. Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."

Frederick Douglass

Post subject: Re: 10-20 PTO shaft
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:38 pm 
Iron Baron

Cool. nice work. You have the patience of Job :P

He can drive his plow through the nigger-wool,
make fields and roads go every way, build him a fine house
and wear the stiff collar, and yet he will always look like the grass where
the buffalo have eaten and smell of the new ground he has trod.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:26 am 
Master Mechanic

You Sir, are a very talented fella. Nice work....James

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:59 am 
Master Mechanic

You do amazing work! very nice!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:03 am 
Master Mechanic

Cool! A little time, patience, the right tools, and a LOT of skill, and you can do anything! Looks GREAT!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:35 pm 
Master Mechanic

I finished up the final touches to the shaft today. I machined the seal retainer to accept a modern oil seal instead of the old felt. I could not find a ball bearing with a 3.375" OD, so I used a 35x80 metric bearing and made a sleeve to go over the OD so it would fit in the tractor. I installed the shaft in one of my 10-20s and everything went together and fit like it should so I would say it is a success!

Attachments:
DSC00753.JPG
DSC00753.JPG [ 53.35 KB | Viewed 1698 times ]
DSC00754.JPG
DSC00754.JPG [ 190.19 KB | Viewed 1704 times ]

"Power concedes nothing without demand. Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."

Frederick Douglass

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:20 pm 
Master Mechanic

You do EXCELLENT work! :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:04 pm 

very skilled work, kirk!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:29 am 

Very nice job Kirk. I am/was a machinist and recognize the work you did. Good job my friend.