The Cowboard

Farm and Ranch Antique Tractor Discussion

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: what everyone up to?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:33 am 
Master Mechanic

Ive been busy preparing for winter, got all my round bales home it took all day saturday and sunday- alot of tractor time, but I didnt mind.
next is firewood
Sunday I got up at 230 thanks to my dog not know it was daylite savings time so I fix the barn wall I had to create a new wall then by lite I jumped on tractor and moved rest of round bales.
Ok Now its your turn. :)

Post subject: Re: what everyone up to?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:38 am 
Iron Baron

I don't pay much attention to the time change. I go out when it gets daylight. Weaned the last of the calves yesterday. Have been receiving more cows on a share lease. I hauled in some hay but have more to do and I have not cut any wood but I do have my eye on some dead trees. Since I have retired I have lots more time to relax. I have spent quite a lot of time improving fences and corrals.

He can drive his plow through the nigger-wool,
make fields and roads go every way, build him a fine house
and wear the stiff collar, and yet he will always look like the grass where
the buffalo have eaten and smell of the new ground he has trod.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:41 am 

I'm still working on the JD 1010 crawler. really did not get much time in Oct, as I had to run to Portland every Friday for cancer treatment, then come home Sat. sure knocks ya down. Not worth a damn for 3 or four days afterwards. Did get all the parts to put finals together. Put the right side together and back on machine, kept thinking I am forgetting something, well I figured it out when I was working on the left side. hhhhhhhmmmm forgot to hook up a spring on the throw out bearing carriage. So I had to pull the right final back off, hook up spring and put final back on machine... Must be old timers memory CRS.

I did get the motor pulled last Sat. and tore apart Mon. rings on 2, 3, and 4 were stuck and had lost the tension.
Rod inserts looked good, but I am going to replace them anyway. Sleeves had not, not even small amount of ridge at the top, but there was no hone marks in the bottom to cylinder where the rings don't touch. I think they even reused the old head gasket. Also looks like they used a whole tube of form-a-gasket on the pan. form-a-gasket on valve cover, water pump, and some sort of high temp form-a-gasket on exhaust. Boy I can't believe how gaskets have gone up, head gasket set for this 4 cylinder was $185.00!!!!! I'll have to check it before I put it on and see if there is some gold flakes in it,,lol

What I knew about a JD crawler, ya could put in a thimble and it would run out, but I'm learning. It's a good thing I bought a service manual and down loaded the parts manual from John Deere. I also bought operators manual..

Hope eveyone is having better days than I am..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:48 pm 

NO Good What else!

http://www.farmallmagneto.com